Sunday, November 7, 2010

That's My Guy

Okay, we just passed our 2 month mark last Wednesday. It's been a brutally long 8 weeks. We're able to talk to Chris several times a week, for short periods of time. He's able to email periodically, so we keep in touch a little. We've been able to Skype four times; it's always fuzzy, and never consistent, but it's amazing to just see him.

Here are a few pictures from where he is. The first is the hospital. The second is a picture of the new replacement vehicle for the Hummer. The third is a picture of his tent. Each tent holds 12. The fourth is Chris standing in broad daylight...typical air quality evident all around him. The last is a picture of a 10 yr old Afghan girl and her father that he's working with there. She has a rare form of bone cancer. It's a very sad situation.

Chris has witnessed too many devastating Marine deaths; amputated too many severely injured limbs; saved and treated countless U.S. Marines, Afghan military and civilians. It's an enormous sacrifice for our family to be separated like this (as so many other families like ours are), but both he and the kids and I at home are being blessed in ways too numerous to count.

In addition to work, Chris is serving as Group Leader for the Branch there in his region of Afghanistan. He said it's amazing to recognize and appreciate the significance of taking the Sacrament when there are a group of men and women from all over the U.S. and World coming together to receive the blessings promised through Baptism, and then to have a quick lesson from the Gospel Principles Manual.

I cannot tell you how much we appreciate your prayers, and the calls some of you make to me at random. It means more than I can tell you.





7 comments:

Hyder Ali said...

Thank you so much for this update! I had been wondering how Chris and the rest of you have been. Grandma Clawson has passed along some amazing stories. Much love your way...and to the other side of the world. <3

Ali said...

This makes me so sad to hear of all those injured over there. Glad such a good doctor as Chris is there to help them. We are so grateful for the sacrifices these men and their families make for us! I hope the next four months fly by for you guys.

Jen Hakes said...

I was just thinking of you today! Wow those pictures speak a thousand words. Please know we are sending you love and best wishes from WA.

Trisha said...

Loved all the updates. I know Chris is blessing so many people overseas. I am so glad to hear that you are hanging in there. I loved the pinecone fight and the gear. I LOVE those placemats! They make me smile. :) And who can't love the Tiffany's bracelet?!! That's a fun surprise. I love you Carlie! Hang in there!

Natalie said...

oh. my goodness. Just amazing! Thank you so much for sharing this! I love it. I love the picture of Chris. I have to tell you, Shawn said, "I've never seen Chris look so happy." I love it. :) We're always thinking of you and praying for you, Chris & your family!

Heather said...

Thank you to Chris, as well as your family, for serving our country. I sure appreciate it.

hydeeann said...

i'm just speechless once again at the magnitude of the sacrafice you are making as a family and the importance of it's impact. i'm glad to know you feel blessed amidst all the trouble. thank you all!

Drop me a note!