
I've spent nearly 7 years serving in the Young Women Organization in 3 different wards. I've recited the YW theme countless times. Saturday I saw Bailey stand for what she knew was right and have never been more proud of anything she's done.
She has the privilege to play on a 'select player' club soccer team here in Columbus. Games are held state wide on Saturdays and Sundays. When she was given the opportunity to play, we told her coach we'd only play Saturday games. He agreed, and we were grateful he still would allow Bailey on the team under that condition. There was a little fall out with some of the parents, but most got over it quickly. This weekend, her team was in a tournament just north of Atlanta. We drove up Friday night and sat through countless qualifying games on Saturday. Saturday night, after Bailey's team won their second game (with Bailey making stellar assists and a goal) putting them in the semi-finals, her coach asked if we'd let her play Sunday. We said we didn't play on Sundays. We went to dinner with the team at 8:00 that night before making the 2 hour drive back home, and her coach asked again if we would make an exception and let her 'help' the team. We again said sorry, and explained that we spent Sunday at Church and with family or doing service. Bailey's assistant coach then sat down with Chris and asked what the most common misconception about Mormons was, then proceeded to spend another 20 minutes asking questions about the Church. As we got ready to leave, Bailey wished her teammates good luck and said she'd see them on Tuesday at practice. Her coach then said that more than anything Bailey did on the field to help her team, he felt the example she was setting for the other players and their families by keeping the Sabbath Holy the way she saw it, was a lesson he couldn't teach them and that he was proud of her.
By the way...we just found out they placed 2nd.
5 comments:
Way to be an example Bailey! We are proud of you for standing up for what is right.
And A Child Shall Lead Them!!!
Obedience pays!
Good job Bailey! I'm really proud of you and your family.
(I've just been told what a horrible Mormon I am because I went to a mandatory parent meeting for the Nutcracker performers on Sunday night. I ignored them over and over again thinking I have always taken the Sabbath seriously but now I have more guilt!)
I'm crying...She is so good and she has you guys, especially you Carlie, to thank for it.
Post a Comment