Friday, September 26, 2008

Nature or Nurture?

We teach by example whether we like it or not. I have to admit that I'm humbled by the times I realize exactly WHAT my example is teaching.

One: We try to distinguish individuals by their clothing color, not by hair, skin color, body type, etc...to avoid any form of stereotyping. Well, being color conscious, we tried to get Braden to drink orange juice the other morning, but he was adamant that it was 'Lello' juice, and until we acknowledged it as such, he wouldn't drink it.


Two: To kill time in Walmart while I waited for some medication, we browsed the magazine rack. Five rows deep and just above Braden's eye level was this Motocross magazine. He spotted it right away and was desperate to have it. I didn't want to get it for him and tried to pass off another little motorcycle pamphlet, but he was SO offended. "No Mom. That's street bikes. I need dirt bikes." Thank You Chris.

Three: Our neighbors gave us a bag of hand me down clothes and Brooklyn found a bikini in the bag. I tried to hide it in the DI pile, only to find her wearing it a short while later. When I told her it wasn't modest and we shouldn't be wearing it, she left the room to walk back in two minutes later with a shirt on top. When I asked her what she was doing, she said, "I put garments on top of my bra before I put the shirt on so it would be modest. Now I just need my deodorant, powder and gloss." Without waiting for a comment or permission, she waltzed into the bathroom and did just that.

No comments:

Drop me a note!